ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: Extending ODE
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 18:48:47 GMT
On 10/9/07, Tammo van Lessen <tvanlessen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm currently working on an extension that allows for using
> Javascript/E4X within assign activities. This was actually thought as
> an example but now I think it is way too cool to be just an example :)
> However this raises another question to the OS license experts of you:
> Is it allowed to depend on Mozilla Rhino (MPL/GPL)?

Unfortunately it's not. But others have had the same problem and came up
with a solution:  Apache BSF. We could rely on it as our interface to the
scripting engine and would allow support to other languages. Then Rhino
would have to be part of the environment or if you use JDK 1.6 it's already
there. The cool side effect is support for Jython, JRuby and Beanshell :)

There's also the new JDK 1.6 API for scripting but that would force us to
rely on 1.6 which I don't think is a good idea.

Matthieu

Cheers (and sorry for the lengthy mail, I hope it was worth reading :)