openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Example of spreadsheet formula testing
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:24:30 GMT
Hi Herbert,

Herbert Duerr schrieb:
> On 16.08.2013 21:37, Regina Henschel wrote:
>> Rob Weir schrieb:
>>> Moving this topic to its own thread.
>>>
>>> It should be possible to code a very thorough set of test cases in a
>>> spreadsheet, without using macros or anything fancy.  Just careful
>>> reading of the ODF 1.2 specification and simple spreadsheet logic.
>>>

>> Following the spec is not enough. For example, if the accuracy decreases
>> from 14 digits to 7 digits, that is not covered by the spec.
>>
>> <skip test case example description>
>>
>>> If we used an approach like this on the other spreadsheet functions,
>>> we could have a semi-automated test suite that would practically
>>> guarantee that Calc is free of calculations errors.  Once we're
>>> written the test cases, a modest upfront investment
>>
>> "modest"? One function a day and you need more than a year.
>>
>> , it will benefit
>>> us with every release we do.  Heck, it would benefit LibreOffice,
>>> Gnumeric, Calligra as well, maybe even Microsoft and Google, though
>>> they might already have such test cases defined internally.
>>
>> I see a problem in how such a test suite is made available. And how the
>> results for a special release are collected.
>>
>> The problem with the current test cases is, that I do not know where
>> they are, how they are to use and how to generate new ones. It is a
>> closed book, only for insiders.
>
> An example of a test case where a formula ("addition") is checked is in
> [1]. This file is clean and easy enough that it could be used as a
> template for more formula checks.
>
> [1]
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/test/testuno/source/fvt/uno/sc/formula/AddtionOperatorInFormula.java
>

> The general topic on getting started with test automation is covered in
> [2].
>
> [2] http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/test_automation_guide

[..]

> There is no need to develop a new framework. Please check Zhe Liu's
> wonderful work on test automation that I referenced above [2] that is
> already available in our "test/" directory. It is very powerful, clean
> and relatively easy to use.

That is was I meant with "closed". This cannot be done by everyone.

To get a wider testing it must be easy, so easy as "download the file,
open it and see, whether something is red".

It seems "automatic test" and "manual test" have to be separated.

But for both kind of testing there exists a problem with "expected
values". For example, calculation of PMT needs expm1 and log1p, or
calculation of LINEST needs lot of matrix calculation. It is not
impossible to calculate this with Java, but who will do it? And when you
use constant expected values, from where do you get them and how to
ensure, that they are valid?

Kind regards
Regina