openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Should download pages *require* Javascript?
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:01:53 GMT
Am 08/20/2013 02:20 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> But if it is possible to detect the broken Javascript without
>>> crashing, then it would be possible to treat the browser as if it did
>>> not have Javascript.
>>

>> Right, has anybody an idea how to detect such broken JS engines?
>>

>  From this test it looks like the main issue is Internet Explorer before I.E. 8:
>
> http://browsershots.org/http://www.openoffice.org/download/

OK, but before fixing the issues we should think about which minimum
version we need to support.

When looking here [1] I doubt that it's worth the big effort to fix all
IE 5 problems just to please a handful users.

IE 7 could be OK. But IE 6, hm, we need to discuss.

> One approach is to see if you can code around that error and get it to
> work correctly on older I.E. installs.
>
> Another approach is to use one of these techniques to detect older
> I.E. and then fall back to a non-script page:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537509%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

This could be a workaround when all older browsers can be detected.
Thanks for the link.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#Internet_Explorer_5

BTW:
In the Internet company where I'm working we have decided to drop any
support for browsers with a market share lower than 4% (regarding our
own website tracking via Webtrekk.com). That means we don't fix any
problems with IE 7 and older. Othwrwise it's too expensive. If it's
working, then fine. If not, then not.

Marcus