openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] Usability of Non-Optional Java Dependencies
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 00:34:55 GMT
Just to note some things related to a Win64 port:

- In order to support win64 builds we would have to add a win64 bridge which we currently
don’t have. The process is similar to porting to a new architecture: mail archives should
have a message from Tor Lillquist who did the LibreOffice port and had a blog post about it.
- It would also be convenient to upgrade the MSVC version we are using.
- As a side effect, most or even all extensions would have to be recompiled.

Since about 80% of our users depend on Microsoft Windows, and 32 bit hardware is not exactly
easy to find anymore, we would think that a win64 port is essential but the truth is up to
MS-Office 2013, Microsoft was recommending people should use 32 bit versions of their office
suite for compatibility issues.
We should work on it, but for now I think the priority should updating MSVC as a step for
that goal. Not sure up to which point we may be able to update it without getting into trouble
for some dependencies.

For now, perhaps we should point people to the openjdk unofficial builds:
https://github.com/alexkasko/openjdk-unofficial-builds <https://github.com/alexkasko/openjdk-unofficial-builds>

Cheers,

Pedro.