openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] Usability of Non-Optional Java Dependencies
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 22:14:09 GMT
On 01/11/2015 Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> 1. We don't have a Win64 version of AOO available for download.

This has never been a major request from our users, and also technically
speaking the benefits a user would gain by running a 64-bit version are
not so big. Sure, it look modern and it is good for marketing, and it is
nice to have, but better OOXML compatibility (for example) would make
many more users happy.

> 2. The Win32 version that Windows users thus download, can't use 64 bit
> Java, something that is tricky to see.
> 3. The list of detected JREs in AOO Options is awkward to use, with its
> radio buttons.

These two are probably actionable.

> 4. The Quickstarter then stops AOO from being restarted.
> 5. Missing JRE error messages come up even for places where Java is
> optional.
> 6. There are multiple (10+) missing JRE error messages when assigning
> macros to form control events.

These three are bigger in scope, but good for usability.

> I've also noticed that the version of Java used to build AOO becomes the
> minimum version of Java that it will accept in the list of detected JREs,
> older versions just get this generic non-descriptive error: "The folder you
> have selected does not contain a Java runtime environment. Please select a
> different folder."

I'm not sure about this. Do you mean the version as major version? Like
Java 6, 7 or 8? We do build binaries with Java 6 anyway, so this is
probably correct.

Regards,
   Andrea.