openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] Getting to AOO for Java (AOO4J)?
Date Sun, 08 Nov 2015 02:31:13 GMT

On 11/7/2015 11:41 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> There has been suggestion, and some expressed support, for AOO becoming a
> Java application.
>
> I don't want to discuss the merits of this, but how it might be undertaken.
>   2. FORKING TO MAKE AOO4J?  One could consider making a project fork.  That
> doesn't make sense as an Apache project, going through incubation, having to
> do much from scratch.  But one could make an independent fork of a
> Java-based AOO (near) workalike. It could be a GitHub project, for example.
> If it is to come back to Apache, it must be sort of managed as an Apache
> Project from the beginning, especially around license and code provenance
> (IP) considerations.  That might be too hard.

For completeness, also consider the following options:

* Direct to TLP. The board has approved moving a new project directly to
top level project status without going through the incubator. It
requires a proposed PMC most of whose members are also ASF members.

* Spawn a subproject within AOO.

I have followed some of the GitHub discussions on various mailing lists.
I think it would be cleaner to keep AOO4J inside Apache and under SVN
control.