openoffice-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From F Campos Costero <fjcc.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2020 16:46:06 GMT
Looking at my first post, I should not have said "[not] even remotely close
to high quality material". Let me amend that to "definitely needs work".
Francis

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 9:03 AM F Campos Costero <fjcc.apache@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Keith,
> I would not say it was a disappointing result at all. I am a complete
> novice with DocBook and I have used XSL exactly one time before this. I may
> have committed any number of rookie mistakes. I was just playing with the
> tools to see what worked right away and what would need tweaking.
>
> I used both OpenOffice's Save As DocBook option and Pandoc's odt ->
> DocBook option to make the xml version of the odt document
> For html output, I used libxslt to translate the xml into html
> For PDF output, I used libxslt to translate the xml into an fo file and
> then I used Apache FOP to make a PDF from that.
>
> My test document was an OpenOffice Installation Guide I pulled off the web.
>
> The biggest problem with the PDF was the placement of the table of
> contents. It is at the top of the document before the title page and I
> cannot move the dang thing. Just my ignorance I am sure.  A couple of the
> figures are not well placed, the document title is formatted as regular
> text and some links appear as the raw link instead as the desired text.
>
> The html also has the title misformatted, it has no table of contents at
> all and it generally looks very bland. I am not sure whether the figures
> were correctly included in my first try or if I had to fiddle with the xml
> content to get them to appear.
>
> If I were to continue along the DocBook path, I would redo my tests and
> record carefully what worked and what needed adjustment. I held off on that
> because I did not want to waste time if you were to say that you found a
> better solution than DocBook.  My guess, a very ill informed one, is that
> neither the OpenOffice export nor Pandoc's odt -> DocBook process will give
> us perfectly formatted DocBook files but they will do a very large fraction
> of the work. Some manual editing will be needed but once we understand what
> that is, it will not be a big deal. Getting to that understanding may be
> painful if no one knows DocBook any better than me.
>
> How is your knowledge of XSL? I can look at the code and guess what some
> of it does but I cannot write anything myself.
>
> Francis
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 7:29 AM Keith N. McKenna <keith.mckenna@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/7/2020 11:28 PM, F Campos Costero wrote:
>> > Keith,
>> > I have played with generating DocBook files from odt files and then
>> > producing HTML or PDF from the DocBook. None of the output is even
>> remotely
>> > close to high quality material but I was pleased to get something
>> readable.
>> > Rather than spending more time on what may be a dead end, I will wait
>> for
>> > your summary of the project needs.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Francis
>>
>> Francis;
>>
>> This is indeed disappointing. Which of the XSL publishing tools did you
>> use? I had been leaning towards using DocBook due to the ability to
>> create multiple different formats.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith
>>
>> >
>> > On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 7:11 AM Keith N. McKenna <
>> keith.mckenna@comcast.net>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >> On 5/30/2020 8:41 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> >>> I should probably have my head examined but I am thinking of one more
>> >>> time trying to revive the documentation effort for AOO. One of the
>> >>> drawbacks is that most people that have started to help have left as
>> >>> there has been very limited availability of mentoring. I do not see
>> this
>> >>> changing but I am hoping that by defining a new process we can reduce
>> >>> the dependency on mentoring.
>> >>>
>> >>> One idea for this would require that the MediaWiki extension be made
>> >>> functional again. This would allow for using Writer to create the
>> source
>> >>> which could be stored in the git repository and then be transferred
to
>> >>> the mwiki for easy online access. By storing the source in the
>> >>> repository it would give us better revision control over the
>> >>> documentation. Plus it may help relieve the mentoring problem as many
>> >>> more people are familiar with using Writer.
>> >>>
>> >>> Another would be to use Docbook, though this is not as appealing as
I
>> >>> have no familiarity with it and it appears that there is a steep
>> >>> learning curve to its use and that would be a disadvantage to
>> attracting
>> >>> new people.
>> >>>
>> >>> I look forward to any other suggestions that could move this effort
>> >>> along as it has languished for far to long.
>> >>>
>> >>> Regards
>> >>> Keith
>> >>>
>> >> AS part of this effort I am working on a document laying out What I see
>> >> as the need for this project and a number of alternatives that could be
>> >> used to to address those needs. Once completed I will share it both
>> here
>> >> and on doc@for more comments and suggestions.
>> >>
>> >> Thanks to all who have responded for there time and suggestions
>> >>
>> >> Regards
>> >> Keith
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message