openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Czesław Wolański <cwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed change for download page
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2021 16:05:44 GMT
Hi Matthias,

Just my 2¢

I have reread the post "Zusammenarbeit Programme von Apache OO-Base und Java-JRE"

http://de.openoffice.info/viewtopic.php?p=293070#p293070

A user was surprised to find out that (1) AOO hadn't not been installed in 64-bit folder and
(2) that there is no easily accessible information on 32-bit/64-bit version.

Earlier in this thread you wrote: "And after the change I expect users to ask, why they can't
find a version for their 64-bit Windows."

That makes me wonder if the title for Windows i.e. "OpenOffice and Java - What to do?"
will give a clue to issues (1) & (2) above.

Next question:
is the position and colour of the title adequate?
Will an ordinary user ever spot it? Perhaps the colour could be a bit more discernible
and the title be placed to the right of the "Download language pack" button?

And slightly off-topic:

Using the search term "openoffice 32 bit" I landed on page "Apache OpenOffice for Windows"
(not up to date, plus one typo).

https://www.openoffice.org/product/windows.html

There is a passage:
"Please note: Apache OpenOffice is distributed as a 32-bit application. It will run successfully
in 32-bit
mode on 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8. But in those cases a 32-bit JVM is required
for some functionality. Details are here."

Regards,
Czesław