pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: MODERATE for pivot-commits@incubator.apache.org
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 06:34:19 GMT
>> collection APIs [...]
>> Some specific differences:
>
>Very interesting and indeed not a duplication of work.
>If not already there, you should put this information on the Wiki! ;-)

Done. After replying to your original email the other day, I created a FAQ on the Wiki.

>> Most of the comparison points are discussed in our proposal to the
>> Apache Incubator; see the section entitled "Comparison to Other
>> Java-Based RIA Platforms":
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/PivotProposal
>
>Cool. Again, I might have missed the link, but this page might be worth
>to be linked from the current home page (or copied and updated on the
>Wiki

I also added most of this content to the FAQ.

>> We'd love to see Pivot become available on mobile devices. However,
>> this is largely dependent on Java SE's availability on such devices.
>> It's entirely possible that, if JavaFX can run on a particular
>> device, Pivot would also work there.
>
>Well, as you might know, they make profiles: the Desktop profile has
>full power, including Swing stuff and advanced (CPU heavy?) graphics,
>the Common (or Mobile) profile targets specifically JavaME, so should
>run on these limited JREs.

Yes - in fact, I was looking into this earlier today. I wasn't able to make much headway,
though, since documentation on Java ME seems to be a bit scarce. I posted some questions to
the Java ME forum - hopefully I will hear back soon.

>Not a priority, I suppose, but that's something JavaFX pushes as a
>paramount advantage, even if there is no official support of real
>devices yet (only run in emulators).

This was actually one of my questions to the forum - what devices actually do support this
profile? If it is truly only emulators, then that's not much of an advantage for JavaFX, IMO.
Unfortunately, it's not much of an advantage for Pivot, either, even if we are able to get
it running on Java ME.  :-)

>I hope I will be able to spend some more time on this interesting
>framework (like you, that's on my free time, already crowded! ;-)).

Great. Let us know if you have any additional questions or comments.