pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Volkert <tvolk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: high-dpi displays, font sizes, and hard-coded pixel counts
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 14:28:21 GMT
> Pixels are considered a device-independent unit of measure in Pivot. The idea is that
super-high resolution monitors would increase the scale factor of the display host to compensate.
Microsoft's WPF takes a similar approach. I'm not sure exactly how Vista handles it, but I'm
guessing that it allows you to scale the entire UI rather than simply increasing the font
size. Apple has also been moving towards a fully-scalable UI - maybe we'll see it in 10.6.

But what if for accessibility's sake, the user has jacked up their
system font to 200%, then they run a Pivot app, and everything's too
small?  It'd be nice if we could detect that condition and auto-scale
the display host such that they could see the app :)