pivot-dev mailing list archives

From ddv36...@yahoo.fr
Subject Re: using annotations for binding between XML/Java elements
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 15:23:02 GMT

--- En date de : Lun 4.5.09, Noel Grandin <noelgrandin@gmail.com> a écrit :

> De: Noel Grandin <noelgrandin@gmail.com>
> Objet: Re: using annotations for binding between XML/Java elements
> À: pivot-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Lundi 4 Mai 2009, 16h26
>
> Once you get into code generation, the world is your oyster
> :-)
> Yeah, you could generate code that initialised the private
> fields from
> inside the class in a variety of ways - a new method, new
> code in the
> constructor, a new instance initialiser, etc.
>
> But it definitely makes deployment a little harder (one
> extra build
> step), and code generation is not trivial.

FYI, it look like you can create a new class building its definition into a StringBuffer,
compile it and load it, all steps involving only memory storage.

From http://www.artima.com/lejava/articles/compiler_api.html
""
For example, one of the benefits of having a compiler API is that you can make compilation
part of an application-level service. Consider the case when you upload JSP code to an app
server: The server has to analyze the JSP files, generate Java source code files from the
JSPs, write those files out to disk, invoke an external compiler that then reads the generated
Java source code files from disk, writes the class files back to disk, and then the app server
needs to read those class files into memory. With the Compiler API, you can keep the compiler
running in that app server, and keep all of that in memory. That can reduce deployment time,
and also eliminates the startup overhead of the compiler.
""

So, some code generation maybe done at runtime.

CASE_1 : one may imagine the following:
- let's enforce developers to use 'public' or 'protected' for field definitions.
- use JSR Compiler API to derivate that class in order to extend the startup() method for
doing XML/Java mapping.

But it's not a solution for class without associated/delivered source code...

CASE_2 : for that last case, a solution might be (if doable !):
- use ASM - http://asm.ow2.org/ - to transform 'private' fields into 'protected' fields
- goto the previous case.

Well, IMHO, CASE_1 looks like a good compromise, because OO encapsulation is not broken:
- developers do a step forward Pivot while using 'protected' keyword (+ annotations) in order
to allow easier XML/Java mapping.
- Pivot does half of the job while doing code generation and mapping according to annotations.

Any comment/idea ?
Thanks.

Dominique