pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: high-dpi displays, font sizes, and hard-coded pixel counts
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 14:31:39 GMT
That's how I right all of my swing apps - I size EVERYTHING by reference
to the current system font size.

But if you say that Pivot can scale the entire device host that would be
a pretty cool approach :-)

Todd Volkert wrote:
>> Pixels are considered a device-independent unit of measure in Pivot. The idea is
that super-high resolution monitors would increase the scale factor of the display host to
compensate. Microsoft's WPF takes a similar approach. I'm not sure exactly how Vista handles
it, but I'm guessing that it allows you to scale the entire UI rather than simply increasing
the font size. Apple has also been moving towards a fully-scalable UI - maybe we'll see it
in 10.6.