pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Java ME
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 18:00:31 GMT
Hi all,

Todd and I have been kicking around the idea of trying to get Pivot running on Java ME. If
we could do this, it could open up a lot of interesting possibilities: we could advertise
Pivot as a platform for building apps that target all kinds of devices, rather than just RIAs.

I've been doing some research to see what might be involved, but I'm having a hard time finding
the information I'm looking for. Specifically:

1) What JDK version does Java ME currently support? It seems to be 1.4, but it's hard to tell.

2) What Java2D features does it support? It seems like the Personal Profile/CDC configuration
supports some (enough to build a Pivot skin, anyways), but again, it's not clear.

3) What actual devices support this profile? I imagine that there must be smart phones (Blackberry,
maybe?) but what about other Java-enabled devices such as TVs, set-top boxes, or BD-J players?

4) Are there any good books or articles that describe how to get started with Java ME?

If anyone has any experience in this area, I would very much appreciate your insight.

Thanks,
Greg