pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Java ME vs. Android
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 14:05:16 GMT
Hi all,

Based on what I have seen so far, trying to get Pivot to run on Java ME seems like it might
be an exercise in frustration. It only supports Java 1.4 (maybe only 1.3), documentation is
difficult to find, and device support appears to be non-existent.

However, it may be possible to get it to run on Android. Android supports Java 5, so that
simplifies things. It also appears to be very well-documented, and there are existing devices
capable of running it. The key challenge would be building an AWT adapter layer such that
Pivot components could draw themselves. It looks like someone has already started down this
path, but it is unfortunately licensed under GPL:

http://code.google.com/p/awt-android-compat/

I imagine that we could do something similar. If we coupled this with an Android-specific
skin (which we would probably do, since mobile device UE is quite different from desktop UE),
we could even be very selective about which AWT features (i.e. Graphics2D methods) we decide
to port.

So, my questions are:

1) Has anyone looked into Android in any depth to know how feasible this might be?

2) How valuable do you think such a port might be? The ability to write an app that can be
deployed both as an RIA and to a mobile device seems pretty compelling to me, but I wanted
to see what others thought.

Thanks,
Greg