pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java ME
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 23:14:55 GMT
Hi Greg,
I've very limited experience on Java ME, but I've seen some news on this:

some week ago (1 or 2) has been released the new Java ME 3.0 SDK

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/terrencebarr/archive/2009/04/java_me_platfor.html

Ah, i don't think we could integrate/use LWUIT because of its licensing ...

> 1) What JDK version does Java ME currently support? It seems to be 1.4, but it's hard
to tell.
I think it's the old 1.4.2, but i hope the new me 3.0 sdk supports the
5.0 ... it contains a new Emulator, too.

> 2) What Java2D features does it support? It seems like the Personal Profile/CDC configuration
supports some (enough to build a Pivot skin, anyways), but again, it's not clear.

> 3) What actual devices support this profile? I imagine that there must be smart phones
(Blackberry, maybe?) but what about other Java-enabled devices such as TVs, set-top boxes,
or BD-J players?
If i could choose what to support, I'd like devices near Java SE, like
the latest CDC ( http://java.sun.com/javame/technology/cdc/ ) an maybe
BD-J (but this is only a fraction, as diffusion, and from what I've
read, at the moment seems difficult to test and to publish/deploy/use
... ). I'm afraid that trying to use devices like CLDC could lead to
interact to vendor-specific features to have high performance on
graphics, but i have no experience on these devices.
And last, for the typical usage of BD-J and TV Set-top-box i think
users needs/wants full support of movies and other highly interactive
graphics features, like those just delivered in JavaFX ... here we
could go out of target, but it's only my idea ... suggestions are
welcome.

> 4) Are there any good books or articles that describe how to get started with Java ME?
I've seen some interesting Java ME blogs on Java.NET, one author is
that of the first link.

I hope these little infos could help ...

Bye,
Sandro