pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Maven browser
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 07:28:16 GMT
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Christopher Brind<brindy@brindy.org.uk> wrote:

> While we're at it, a quick thought about that OSGi Jira issue that was
> raised a while back - personally I don't see much value in adding OSGi to
> Pivot (I think it might be difficult to reverse engineer OSGi in at this
> stage and Pivot seems modular enough, as well as the argument about who
> needs dynamic services in a UI like which Pivot is design for),

That is actually an very interesting point. I spoke to Rickard Oberg
yesterday about our Qi4j progress, and both OSGi and Pivot came up,
although separately since he is getting quite far with the
implementation of an application on top of Qi4j. His immediate
reaction on the OSGi topic was; "I don't see much use for OSGi on the
server, but it would be great to have it in the client.". It was
largely about updates, plugins and successive download (not the whole
client in one go).

I think that Pivot should stay OSGi-independent, but be OSGi-friendly.
This is the strategy we are trying at Qi4j. In Pivot, I think that
should mean that your jars are OSGi deployable bundles, and that the
classloading process is well understood and compatible with OSGi's
protected classloading mechanisms. Since you guys do classloading
(unlike Qi4j), I think your challenge is fairly elaborate, as you will
need to figure out how to communicate unknown classes from client code
to your Pivot bundle, which won't be able to load classes it doesn't
know of in advance. The problem is common, and a couple of solutions
are available, some worse than others, but if you don't develop with,
and have a the demo deployed under, OSGi it will be hard to keep up to
sync.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer