pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: ASF code signing certificate
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:05:24 GMT
OK. Once the graduation is formally approved, I'll send a message to infra describing what
we are looking for and see if they can help. I'd like to get a valid certificate in place
before we launch, if at all possible.

Thanks,
Greg

On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> AFAIK infra has enough karma to purchase small hardware, domains and
> certificates. If they don't have enough they can escalate it to the
> board to make sure it happens.
>
> Martijn
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
>> The problem with waiting until after we graduate is that we'll launch with an invalid
cert signed by Todd, rather than a valid cert signed by the ASF. This won't leave a good first
impression on anyone seeing Pivot for the first time.

>> You are probably right that general@incubator is probably not the right place for
this discussion, but I think it is at least worth posting the question to the infra list.
I'm guessing that most of the previous discussion around PKI focused on SSL, etc. - maybe
it won't be as difficult to push a code signing cert. through.

>> How are purchase decisions generally handled? Would someone on the infra list be
able to approve something like this, or is there another list I should also post to?

>> Thanks,
>> Greg

of an official Apache code signing certificate. Some of our demo and tutorial JARs are signed,
but they currently use an unofficial (and expired) certificate Todd had created locally for
testing purposes. This doesn't inspire quite as much confidence in the authenticity of the
code as we would like.  :-)

we graduate, do you know if it might be possible to request one? I believe these cost around
$500 (US) - is the ASF likely to cover something like this, or do you think we would need
to fund it ourselves?

a few months back, and I didn't get a reply from either one...maybe I will try again after
we graduate. Anyone have any contacts at either place?