pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TextArea/RichTextArea
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:57:05 GMT
 Greg Brown wrote:
> I noticed a few bugs, though Noel may be planning to work these out before we release
2.0. Also, we'd ideally want to
> include a RichTextToolbar component along with RichTextArea, since most developers will
want to use the two together.
What specific bugs did you find? As far as I know, I've worked them all out now.
Yeah, I was wondering about the toolbar thing, that's why I've kept adding features to the
example code. I wasn't too
sure about the appropriate level of packaging it up as a component to be re-used, so I didn't
try to make the example a
fully-fledged Pivot component.

> Yes, we can do this. But I am genuinely concerned about the stability and maintenance
of RichTextArea - not because the work that Noel has done recently, but because I think the
original design (which I am responsible for) is too heavy.
Maybe you haven't seen too many other examples of editor code, but having spent some time
in the bowels of other Java
text editing components, I can safely say that your design is pretty decent :-)

I didn't notice that it was that heavily dependent on the concept of paragraphs. If you think
of it as being based
around the concept of laying out rectangular pixel chunks in a left-to-right, top-to-bottom
way, then it (mentally)
works pretty well.
The layout()/paint() logic is a bit hairy and could do with some cleanup, but it's not a major
problem.

-- Noel