pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Fwd: TabPane selections
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 21:13:18 GMT
Forwarding to the dev list since this is a platform issue.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com>
> Date: September 6, 2010 5:02:38 PM EDT
> To: user@pivot.apache.org
> Subject: Re: TabPane selections
>
> Both DENY and DEFER are a form of veto. A "defer" vote means "I don't agree right now,
but if you ask me again later, I will agree", whereas "deny" means "I don't agree now and
I make no guarantee about what might vote might be later". So, it may be OK for TerraTabPaneSkin
to behave this way in response to a "defer", but not a "deny".

> Maybe we need to reset the prior button group selection in selectedIndexChangeVetoed()?
>
> On Sep 6, 2010, at 4:08 PM, Chris Bartlett wrote:
>
>> How should a TabPane behave if it has a TabPaneSelectionListener which always returns
Vote.DENY in the previewSelectedIndexChange() method?  (A contrived example, but demonstrates
the point)

>> With TerraTabPaneSkin, if I select a tab by clicking the mouse on an enabled TabButton,
the selection change is vetoed.
>> However by this point, the 'target' TabButton has been selected and repainted and
the TabPane's appearance is left in an inconsistent state.

>> If TabPaneSelectionListener#previewSelectedIndexChange() provides the ability to
veto, shouldn't it be tied in to the enabled state of the various tabs?
>> That might open a can of worms though, as the votes returned by the various TabPaneSelectionListeners
might change arbitrarily.

>> Enabling & disabling tabs seem to provide similar functionality, with the exception
of the TabPaneSelectionListener#selectedIndexChangeVetoed() method, which I suppose could
be used to explain to the user why they are not able to select an enabled tab
>> Enabling & disabling tabs has the advantage of updating the GUI to indicate the
availability of the tabs for selection