pivot-dev mailing list archives

From "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject RE: Need Help!
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 23:55:01 GMT
Hi David,

                Well, I wish there was *one* place to get it.  I end up using the Javadoc
(from here <http://pivot.apache.org/2.0.3/docs/api/>  for the current version), and
the Component Explorer demo <http://pivot.apache.org/demos/component-explorer.html>
 with which you can play around with values.

                The general meaning of "-1" and "1*" (specifically in a TablePane) is this:
 "-1" means use the "natural" size of the children, so the parent sizes itself to the max
size of the children.  A value with "*" after it means it is part of "relative" sizing.  How
that works is this:  take all the "-1" and "nn" values and compute them, then subtract that
total from the available space.  Then add up the total of all the relative values and distribute
each of the according to the ratio of each "*" value relative to the total of all the relative
values.  So, if there were 5 columns sized "-1", "20", "1*", "2*", and "3*", they each would
get sized to:

1)      The max size of the children in column one.

2)      An absolute value of 20 pixels for column two.

3)      1 / (1 + 2 + 3) = 1/6 of the remaining space for column three.

4)      2/6 = 1/3 of the space for column four.

5)      3/6 = ½ of the space for column five.

So, specifically if you have one column (or one row) sized as "1*" it would take all the available
space (1 / 1 = 100%).

                Thank you for using Pivot (in spite of shortcomings in the doc)!  I am going
to cross-post to the Users list for other's information too.  Please feel free to ask and/or
make suggestions for improvements.  So, what would you have in mind for this "Actual" reference?
 Keep in mind that we probably would need to automatically generate it in order to keep it
in sync with ongoing changes ....

HTH,

~Roger