pivot-dev mailing list archives

From David Ray <david....@barchart.com>
Subject Re: Need Help!
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:53:48 GMT
Roger,

You are an angel, thank you!  That was indeed very helpful.

Ok so suggestions?  Here it comes…

1. First thing. Don't worry about anything beyond step 1.  - which is to compile as thorough
a compendium of documentation as you can for the current versions.
2. Keeping it in sync and up to date is a worry that is great for providing obstacles daunting
enough to keep one from not doing anything to begin with.
3. Once a thorough doc representation is compiled, organized and available - the next step
is maybe marking sections with a legend to show which are affected by
     current changes. This can eventually be automated - such that when the documentation
is generated from some base, it can automatically update symbols shown
    in the document which represent or explicitly show markers pointing to current builds/versions/bug-fixes
etc.
4. Next, you could provide a way to have the author of fixes link their documentation changes
to a check in, then when builds are executed, the documentation can be
    automatically updated - relevant to that section.

But I would take baby steps. Step one is definitely needed and would be very widely appreciated.

Sorry I can't be more detailed about specific processes or tools - I haven't researched it
myself :)

David

On Oct 9, 2013, at 6:55 PM, Roger L. Whitcomb <Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>                Well, I wish there was *one* place to get it.  I end up using the Javadoc
(from here <http://pivot.apache.org/2.0.3/docs/api/>  for the current version), and
the Component Explorer demo <http://pivot.apache.org/demos/component-explorer.html>
 with which you can play around with values.

>                The general meaning of "-1" and "1*" (specifically in a TablePane) is
this:  "-1" means use the "natural" size of the children, so the parent sizes itself to the
max size of the children.  A value with "*" after it means it is part of "relative" sizing.
 How that works is this:  take all the "-1" and "nn" values and compute them, then subtract
that total from the available space.  Then add up the total of all the relative values and
distribute each of the according to the ratio of each "*" value relative to the total of all
the relative values.  So, if there were 5 columns sized "-1", "20", "1*", "2*", and "3*",
they each would get sized to:

> 1)      The max size of the children in column one.
>
> 2)      An absolute value of 20 pixels for column two.
>
> 3)      1 / (1 + 2 + 3) = 1/6 of the remaining space for column three.
>
> 4)      2/6 = 1/3 of the space for column four.
>
> 5)      3/6 = ½ of the space for column five.
>
> So, specifically if you have one column (or one row) sized as "1*" it would take all
the available space (1 / 1 = 100%).

>                Thank you for using Pivot (in spite of shortcomings in the doc)!  I am
going to cross-post to the Users list for other's information too.  Please feel free to ask
and/or make suggestions for improvements.  So, what would you have in mind for this "Actual"
reference?  Keep in mind that we probably would need to automatically generate it in order
to keep it in sync with ongoing changes ....

> HTH,
>
> ~Roger

:)  point me to an <em>Actual</em> reference to maybe a list of all style key/values
per object - mmm maybe what the heck "-1" and "1*" mean in a layout?