pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inject properties in Application
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 11:22:06 GMT
Hi,
ok, I'll try to better explain my requirements here, if it's not
enough clear tell me :-) ...

As starting point, look here:
http://svn.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/pivot-stuff/trunk/pivot-stuff-common-groovy/test/pivot_stuff/common_groovy/
all .gsh files are Groovy Scripts (they could be .groovy, but I rename
to .gsh to be more clear that they are scripts), and they use some
Groovy code (in some case inside the script, in others external in
.groovy classes just for convenience).
And of course Groovy code there extends Pivot Java code ...
To run examples you can find Windows batch files here:
http://svn.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/pivot-stuff/trunk/pivot-stuff-common-groovy/_scripts/

The concept is similar to this:
http://groovy.codehaus.org/Scripts+and+Classes

Use Case 1:
a Groovy/Java/Scala/etc application that executes a script, for simple
(or user-written) things ... but for this probably all is ok (no
changes required).

Use Case 2:
a Groovy (soon Scala) Script that calls Groovy/Java code, and in that
script I could define variables/objects (like an external
environment), and currently I'm not able to pass to the application
unless I use some singleton trick.
Generally speaking I don't like too much the all-singleton approach
... in a world evolving much more in multi-core/multi-thread (and
hard-to-do-well and not-too-much-unnecessary-synchronization) this is
a good reason to me.
But if for all us this is enough I can live with it :-) ...

This is a field where I'd like to push Pivot:
http://www.reactivemanifesto.org/
but could be for a long-term roadmap ... I'll post some idea later on
this (many of us know that I'm a big fan of Scala and related
products) because it's a big thing, and not strictly related to this.

> I'm thinking that for 2.1 could be useful to have a way to inject data
> inside Applications, for example have some variable (like a Classloader
> and maybe others) in a script and inject (or even set by
> hand) in the Application.
> But of course this requires a little update in that API, like add a
> method setExternalProperties(Map <String, Object> properties) or similar
> ... and let Applications implement it if needed (or use the empty
> version in Application.Adapter) ...
in this way we could be able to define objects from "outside" and set
in Pivot Application, but of course we should create an instance of
Application (custom, or Application.Adappter), and then set in it all
desired values.

> Then, DesktopApplicationContext currently uses a Class instance of
> Application (dynamically loading the class instance), so maybe we could
> even add a method to get an Application instance already created ...
Here we could add a startup flag that when given (not sure if it's the
best way, I have to check this), the Application class instance is
taken from the externalProperties Map (if found) and used instead of
dynamically load it by name, so this small change should only be an
addition, reusing existing methods.
The problem here could be that Application instance should not be
already started (but writing in JavaDoc should be enough) ... so the
only other problem I see here could be a malicious injection from
"outside" in Application, but I don't think this could be a real
problem because it's up to the developer to use them.

What do you think ?

Bye,
Sandro