plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] First Podling Report PLC4X
Date Sat, 30 Dec 2017 15:54:06 GMT
Hi Justin,

Good point with the first release. I completely forgot about that one ;-)
… I’ll add that right away.

So, would we all be good with the following report?

Chris

Apache PLC4X (incubating)

PLC4X is a set of libraries for communicating with industrial programmable logic controllers
(PLCs) using a variety of protocols but with a shared API.

Most important issues to address while moving towards graduation:

  *   Building the community: The PPMC and committer group has a large percentage of codecentric
employees, we have been recruiting people from other companies, but will have to continue
these efforts for establishing a healthy Apache community.
  *   Onboarding of new committers: With PLC4X several people on the team are not very familiar
with the Apache Way. We have started and will continue our efforts on this onboarding.
  *   Podling name search: We have invested a lot of time on the name search prior to starting
to work on the project, but we still need the official OK that we’re allowed to keep the
Name of Apache PLC4X.
 *    Make our first release

Any Issues the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of:

  *   In order to get access to some of the specifications the ASF will eventually have to
become Members of some external foundations: OPC, EtherCat, Modbus … these memberships usually
have a free level, that allows us to use the specifications but doesn’t result in any regular
costs. We will have to discuss these details with the ASF and the other foundations.
  *   One of the external foundations (Profinet) doesn’t have a free membership. In general,
the CEO of the European branch of the Profinet Foundation has signaled that it should be possible
for the ASF to become a member and have an outside company pay the membership fees, but we
have to discuss the details (With them as well as the ASF).

  *   We have been accepted into the Apache Incubator just a week before Christmas, we are
still in the process of setting up
  *   Prior to joining the Apache Incubator however, we have managed to recruit people from
other Apache projects and are working on getting other people familiar with the protocols
and the industry involved. After the Christmas break we are planning on contacting a big group
of people that have claimed to be wanting to be involved (A list of about 20 Companies, but
we can’t tell how many will be using and how many would also be willing to contribute)
  *   We have started the onboarding of new committers and will be continuing to do this (extended
emails with a lot of explanations on why we are doing things the way we are)
  *   Project has bootstrapped quickly and we have mailing lists, website, JIRA etc. all set
up and running.
  *   Testing coverage has been improved over the initial code base

  *   There was no last report.

How does the podling rate their own maturity?

  *   We have a mix of new participants and experienced Apache people involved.
  *   So far, the new participants have shown great willingness and success in adopting the
Apache Way.
  *   However, we still need to continue:
     *   the on-boarding
     *   increasing the diversity of the team
  *   Also, will we need to decide and establish all the processes involved in releasing software
at Apache

    Looking good to me there’a couple of things I would add.

    I’d add “Make our first release” as a point under "Most important issues to address
while moving towards graduation”

    > Any Issues the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of:
    >
    >  *   Still not all members of the initial PPMC and committers have finished signing
up for all mailing lists

    No need to list the above as we’re still starting out IMO it sort of expected at this
point so nothing the board needs to be made aware of.

    >  *   In order to get access to some of the specifications the ASF will eventually
have to become Members of some external foundations: OPC, EtherCat, Modbus … these memberships
usually have a free level, that allows us to use the specifications but doesn’t result in
any regular costs. We will have to discuss these details with the ASF and the other foundations.
    >  *   One of the external foundations (Profinet) doesn’t have a free membership.
In general, the CEO of the European branch of the Profinet Foundation has signaled that it
should be possible for the ASF to become a member and have an outside company pay the membership
fees, but we have to discuss the details (With them as well as the ASF).

    >  *   We have been accepted into the Apache Incubator just a week before Christmas,
we are still in the process of setting up
    >  *   Prior to joining the Apache Incubator however, we have managed to recruit people
from other Apache projects and are working on getting other people familiar with the protocols
and the industry involved. After the Christmas break we are planning on contacting a big group
of people that have claimed to be wanting to be involved (A list of about 20 Companies, but
we can’t tell how many will be using and how many would also be willing to contribute)
    >  *   We have started the onboarding of new committers and will be continuing to do
this (extended emails with a lot of explanations on why we are doing things the way we are)

    I’d also add these:
    - Project has bootstrapped quickly and we have mailing lists, website, JIRA  etc etc all
set up and running.
    - Testing coverage has been improved over the initial code base

    > How does the podling rate their own maturity?
    >
    >  *   Even if we do have a lot of new participants in the project, we also have a
list of highly experienced Apache people on board.

    Better to say it this  way?
    - We have a mix of new participants and experienced Apache people involved.

    Thanks,
    Justin