plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Trying a new way for me to keep the lights on ...
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2020 06:35:02 GMT
Hi folks,

yesterday I decided to try out something new: I signed up for Github Sponsors.

The problem is that I am dedicating all of my time for this project, because I strongly believe
in it bringing value to the world.

Unfortunately the world is having trouble bringing value to my bank account. Everyone seems
to be interested in PLC4X, and a lot of companies have started using it.
PLC4X is already a great tool and it’s only going to become better and better each day.

In the last 4 years where I have been trying to get consulting contracts around PLC4X the
amount of sales you have to do for just one day of consulting is just ridiculous.
I’m just finishing a project that has a budget of 5 days which I needed to do sales for
1,5 years. If I ever got a contract, I had to sign NDAs and am not allowed to talk about what
I did, which makes it almost impossible to acquire new gigs … I mean … what would you
think if you asked me: “Who’s using PLC4X and how?” and I would say: “Lots of companies
and we’re saving millions in license costs and we cranked up productivity by 2-digit percentages”
… and you: “So who is using it and what for?” and I say: “Not allowed to tell you”.
:-(

I and others in this project have been thinking a lot about how we can unite our urge to provide
software for the public good and still be able to feed our families.
One of these initiatives is the https://industrial-open-source.com initiative. But as far
as I can see it’s not really changing much … at least not for me and not till now.

So if you are happy with the level of support I am giving you and your companies, perhaps
think about becoming my sponsor.
As I can add new levels of support and you don’t find a price-range you’re happy with
… just ping me off list and I can add that.

https://github.com/sponsors/chrisdutz/

Please help me keeping the lights on …

Chris