plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: Source Time of PLC Value?
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2021 12:17:29 GMT
Hi,

I must admit that I would be in favor of keeping it as simple as possible (max age in the
connection string) and to implement more of the missing parts in plc4x (like the subscription
simulation layer) and hereby getting the drivers we have a bit more aligned, than to implement
more and more special API features, that only one or two drivers support. Cause this way we're
running away form the project-promise of running a given program at any type of PLC with any
protocol.

I mean ... at the current velocity the project is underway, I wouldn't really want to add
a new MetaData layer that probably in the end only 1-2 people will be implementing and which
we must not only find out how to fill with life in the first place, but also port to all of
our supported languages.

If someone's willing to bring in some serious man/womenpower, I'm fine with that ... or we
add it to some wish-list for future extensions. But I wouldn't want to start something like
this right now.

Chris

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org>
Gesendet: Montag, 8. März 2021 13:07
An: dev@plc4x.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Source Time of PLC Value?

I have not mentioned metadata term in my answer, so credits for mining it API go to you. :-)

Now since you brought it I remember that JDBC has a "result set metadata". That might be thing
we still miss. The result code is most important and available instantly, other information
is supplemental and can be read additionally.

Best,
Łukasz