poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikael Sitruk" <mikae...@bezeqint.net>
Subject Unicode support question
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:53:29 GMT
Hi

I've been using POI for a while, but recently I've tried to check the
support for Unicode. I'm not really sure that the problem that I
encounter is related to POI itself, but I would like to share with you
the fact, hoping that you might help
I've an oracle database which NLS_LANG is set to ATL32UTF8. I've
inserted Hebrew character in the database and I able to see them with an
db editor like TOAD. I fetcht the data using JDBC, with oracle Thin
driver, and send the data to two kind of output:
1.	CSV file using UTF8 encoding
2.	POI using the createCell and setEncoding(ENCODING_UTF_16).

When I open the CSV file in an editor that support UTF 8, I see
correctly the Hebrew characters, on the other hand when opening the
Excel file created by POI I see garbage characters.
Do you know what might be the problem???

P.S: The program runs on win2000, with jdk1.4.x, and I create the output
file by cloning a template created MS excel.
Thanks, for input.