qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [c++]: logging levels (was Re: C++ broker - some newbie questions)
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 20:43:33 GMT
2009/1/2 Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com>:

> At present for example a warning is logged for every published message that
> cannot be routed; every 'local' message dropped due to a 'no-local'
> directive results in an info level log message etc. As these are per-message
> events they could result in lots of log entries.

Yes, I can see this will be an issue.

Does your logging infrastructure have the concept of categories (like
log4j)? It may be useful to have a *small* set of categories (not like
log4j common usage which tends to map onto package namespaces) such as
"general", "message-delivery", "connection" etc. and these can have
levels controlled independently. The default for "general" would be
INFO (say) but for "message-delivery" it could be "error+".

I think having a small set of categories is a good idea and one that
would be nice to see in the Java world since the log level is hard to
tweak without detailed knowledge of the code structure (effectively).

RG