qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Question re: Java broker's message selector implementation...
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:28:11 GMT
Hi Rob, thanks for the info - very helpful.  I'll write up a more formal description of the
proposed functionality shortly - give us something a little more tangible to review.

One question specific to the Java broker's behavior - an edge-case I'm trying to wrap my head
around:

With selectors, I'm planning on associating a current position with each consumer - just as
you described below.  This is somewhat new to the C++ broker, as currently all consumers consume
from the queue's head.  A position attribute adds a new wrinkle to the broker's handling of
released messages:

Does the Java broker reset/rewind a consumer's position when an acquired message is released
back to the queue?  For example, assume a queue with multiple subscribers consuming from it
in parallel, with the potential that their selector match criteria overlaps.  If a consumer
acquires a message, then at some later point releases it, does the Java broker 'back up' the
other consumers that may have skipped over that message due to it being acquired?

thanks,

-K