ranger-dev mailing list archives

From Tanping Wang <tanpi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Missing documentation
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2015 23:33:53 GMT
Hi, folks,
It would be nice to see couple examples of how to manage finer-grained ACL
via Ranger across Hadoop components.  For example, this blog is nice:

http://hortonworks.com/blog/best-practices-for-hive-authorization-using-apache-ranger-in-hdp-2-2/

With Solr introduced into Ranger, can we have some article to talk about
how Solr/HDFS ACL can be managed via Ranger together?  The same thing
applies to Kafka, Knox etc.

The other thing would be helpful to documented is how the user and group
information managed by Ranger.  For example, users and group information
can be synced up from LDAP or Unix, but can not be pushed back to LDAP or
Unix today. However, if the end users creates the user on Hadoop and also
on Ranger, Ranger can in fact manage the user (magic~~).  These are not
very intuitive and should be documented?

Regards,
Tanping