ranger-dev mailing list archives

From Madhan Neethiraj <mad...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patches with trivial changes
Date Wed, 24 May 2017 16:22:23 GMT
Zsombor,

>> Instead of discouraging contributions
My suggestion was to discourage patches that have *only* very, very tiny and non-essential
updates – like changing case of a label word from “G” to “g”, removing a blank line,
etc; or patches that touch hundreds of files for trivial/non-essential updates. I think these
can’t be a way to ease into the project. A better way would be to take time to understand
the project functionality and contribute towards enhancing it. I think an excellent example
in this regard would be Colm’s initial contributions, which significantly improved the unit
test coverage for Ranger plugins. It will help the Ranger community immensely if contributors
take such a path.

>> Is there any particular reason, why the current workflow used as is ?
Ranger community has been using review-board since its beginning, and it seems to be working
well. Many Apache project do use this approach.

As new contributors join the community, their experience/expectation might be different. Use
of ‘pull requests’ to deal with patch/review/merge was suggested sometime back as well.
I think we should give this a shot, to find if this approach makes it easier for everyone.
However, bear in mind that people might have bias towards a specific approach, based on their
prior experience and comfort level. Forcing everyone to change might take effort/time.

Thanks,
Madhan