rave-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Managing mobile views
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:16:03 GMT
On 9 Nov 2011, at 10:00, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:

> Cool to see we now have a mobile view of the portal homepage :)
> The current switch to the view is handled in the controller which means for
> every returned view name the check has to be done. If it's only a small
> subset of the views, then the current solution will be fine and we probably
> need to add some css media queries for the views that have the same html
> output for mobile and desktop. If most of the views will be different for
> mobile and desktop, is this something we can move to a view resolver to use
> a different path for the jsps?

Hi Jasha,

I've done some work with progressive enhancement - e.g. using media queries and viewport with
dynamic css.

E.g.

http://scottbw.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/adventures-in-progressive-enhancement/

http://scottbw.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/adventures-in-progressive-enhancement-pt-2/

The idea is that mobile is the default view in terms of the CSS, and the you use media queries
to add in styles needed for tablet size and then up to desktop display

(All inspired by Bryan Reiger's talk: http://www.slideshare.net/bryanrieger/rethinking-the-mobile-web-by-yiibu)

This is an alternative approach to having completely different views for different devices.