rave-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Steinmann" <mar...@ezuce.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Proposal for Person Profile Direction in Rave
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 16:09:08 GMT
This is very much in line with our thinking as well and adding such a
Personal Profile is an important feature for Rave, especially if Rave is to
be seen in the context of social networking inside an enterprise.  The
problem we see with this is that every application strives for the same goal
and adds more and more person data, so that you end up with an IT
infrastructure that consists of islands.  This is not very useful for most
users as you have to create and maintain such a profile in every application
you use, which means that these profiles are never consistent.

Once we agree on the necessity for single sign-on, you could argue that the
authoritative source for persona data is the directory server.  Except in
the vast majority of IT environments the LDAP / AD directory server is read
only and therefore not suited for person profile data that the users would
like to update without the help of an admin.

This calls for two things:  a) a standard format to store such person data,
like vCard (RFC 6350) and xCard (RFC 6351), and b) a flexible way to store
person data in a database.   The second point is important because instead
of using complicated sync algorithms to keep person data synchronized
between different applications where each application maintains its own
database, it should be possible to use a distributed data base, such as
MongoDB, to store person data for all applications to access.  The DB layer
then replicates this data and makes sure that it remains consistent for all
applications, allowing users to use any application to update their profile.

--martin