rave-dev mailing list archives

From Jasha Joachimsthal <j.joachimst...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.10 Release Candidate
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 10:26:30 GMT
On 6 April 2012 10:46, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:

> On 04/06/2012 10:41 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> I've got two remarks so far:
>>
>> a) This release candidate is dependent on the non-yet released
>> rave-master-0.10,
>> which I don't like much.
>>
>> IMO it would have been better to wait another day until the rave-master
>> was
>> formally released. Although the rave-master release most certainly will
>> commence, in theory if we find a last minute blocker issue with it
>> causing its
>> release to be failed, it would cause *this* release candidate then to fail
>> automatically as well...
>>
>> b) Issue RAVE-553 just reported by Jasha and also confirmed by myself
>> makes the
>> release useless for all practical use-cases and most certainly should
>> have been
>> easily tested/found before the release. We should look into improving our
>> quality assurance and add some minimal but sensible (interaction) testing
>> plan
>> which should pass before we cut a release candidate because this is quite
>> annoying.
>>
>> For b) I'm inclined to vote -1 or at least -0. As I haven't had time to
>> further
>> review I'll postpone casting my vote for now but it doesn't look rosy to
>> me.
>>

> BTW: just want to make clear, especially for Raminder, I consider b) and
> the need for improving on our quality assurance a responsibility of the
> team, including myself, not one of the release-manager who but must execute
> and ascertain this.

If I revert the commit in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-541 I
can create new users again. I don't know what the intention of this feature
was, but the result is that it creates a new PROFILE page instead of a new
USER page. The portal cannot handle a user without a user page. The portal
can however render a profile page if no profile page is present yet for
that user.

We have multiple options:
0. accept the 0.10 release, but I also doubt between -0 and -1
1. reject the 0.10 release, fix or revert the issue, no new release until
the end of the month
2. reject the 0.10 release, revert the commit done for RAVE-541 and create
a new 0.10.1 release after the rave-master pom has been released
3. reject the 0.10 release, fix the RAVE-541 issue and create a new 0.10.1
release after the rave-master pom has been released

For option 2 & 3 we don't want other new features in the 0.10.1 release so
either
a. hold all commits until the issue RAVE-541 has been resolved or reverted.
Create a release from trunk (0.11-SNAPSHOT -> 0.10.1 -> 0.11-SNAPSHOT)
b. create a branch from 0.10 tag (0.10.1-SNAPSHOT), fix or revert RAVE-541,
release from the branch (0.10.1-SNAPSHOT -> 0.10.1 -> 0.10.2-SNAPSHOT).
Merge the fix into trunk (0.11-SNAPSHOT)

@Venkat (or whoever can fix the issue and knows what the intention was): in
case we want a 0.10.1 release, do you think you can fix this issue soon,
shall we first revert your commit and give you more time to solve it?

Jasha