rave-dev mailing list archives

From "Noe-Payne, Erin A." <eri...@mitre.org>
Subject Rave-563: Bootstrap and Opensocial viewtarget
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:29:04 GMT
Hi All,

*         I'm working to apply Bootstrap styling to rave's popup views via the open-views
feature (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-563).

*         The opensocial spec defines separate dialog and modaldialog view targets, but the
wording is vague with respect to their specific differences (http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/trunk/Core-Gadget.xml#gadgets.views.ViewType.ViewTarget).

*         Interpreting the "spirit" of the spec, I would probably expect dialogs to be a moveable
overlay that allow you to interact with the screen below, and of which multiple instances
can be open at a time. A modal forces the user to resolve it before doing anything else, and
only one instance may be open at a time. However...

*         Bootstrap offers only modal dialogs (http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/javascript.html#modals).

My suggested way forward is to implement both dialog and modaldialog view targets using bootstrap's
modal, meaning that dialogs would not be moveable and would in practice be nearly the same
as modals.  Does anyone have a better suggestion, or a use case where there is actual value
in rave providing moveable dialog view targets?

Thanks,
Erin