rave-dev mailing list archives

From Erin Noe-Payne <erin.noe.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Separating rave core from rave portal
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 22:16:47 GMT
One of the major discussions at the ApacheCon Rave Hackathon was decoupling
the rave core from the rave portal. This is meant as a proposal / kick-off
discussion about where to divide the two.

Rave Core:
- Manages the data repository APIS.
- Javascript libraries to interact with apis, manage providers and provide
widget functionality.
- Does not implement views or controllers.
- Should be deployable independently of the portal.

Rave Portal:
- Web application implementing a portal on top of rave core.
- Provides a widget store, activity streams, and pages - the functionality
we currently see when we download rave.

Questions:
Are users / persons part of the rave core, or are they specific to the
portal?
Should we branch or push incremental changes into trunk?
How much / little should the rave core do? On the server - anything more
than rest apis? On the client - make any assumptions about views / markup
structure or expect to be handed dom elements for rendering?
I'm especially interested in on Ate's take on this from the perspective of
being useful for Hippo & HMVC.