rave-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CXF Rest + WS Data Model
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2013 20:47:45 GMT

> I had to think about it for a while, but I'm +1 for this approach with
> generically definable {context}/{identifier}. A minor comment is that when
> we talk about delivering a a full renderable page with all associated data
> - context, authenticated user, widget render & metadata - I feel like we
> are breaking from rest. Is that true? In that case would it make more sense
> to put these routes not under the api? Under this model...

I don't think it breaks rest.  It is still a representation of the resource.

> /api/... restful api that delivers resources
> /{context}/{identifier}/pages - application routes. With accept headers of
> html, delivers the html page with bootstrapped data. with accept headers of
> json, delivers just the json data representation.

I can see where you are going with this, but I would like this capability
in "core" and think view matching & other MVC pieces are part of an
implementation, like the OOTB portal.  I would be ok with a separate
contexts API though that delivers the rendered pages.

Sot that we are not totally talking in abstract, I have committed enough of
the pieces for us to look at the render-ready/export-ready versions of the
pages.  Paths are by no means "correct" or final:

Some examples of current functionality:

/api/rest/pages/{pageId}                          Returns the export
version of the page with the specified id
/api/rest/pages/portal/@self                    Returns all portal pages
for the currently authenticated principal (user)
/api/rest/pages/portal/@self/{pageId}       Returns the portal page with
the Id of pageId for the currently authenticated principal (user)
/api/rest/pages/portal/{userId}                 Returns all portal pages
for the userId
/api/rest/pages/profile/{userId}                Returns all profile pages
for the userId