rave-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Angular Branch
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:09:35 GMT
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Erin Noe-Payne <erin.noe.payne@gmail.com>wrote:

> If there are not breaking changes on the angular branch now (and I'm
> not so sure there aren't), then there definitely will be at some
> point. Chris mentioned tests, there are data model changes, there are
> changes in how static content will be delivered, etc. Doing that sort
> of development while having to worry about breaking the production
> version seems like setting ourselves up for a bad time.

IMO, the data model changes need to be done in trunk and not in a branch.
 Even if we kept angular in its own branch, this means we need to update
both the JSP & Angular implementations anyway.  There also might be some
value in maintaining the JSP UI as a deprecated feature for a while until
everyone is able to migrate away to angular.

> If we want to make the angular branch the primary or only focus of
> development going forward, we could potentially make a stable branch
> off of trunk, for bug fixes / release, and develop angular in trunk.

We can (and have) done that for critical fixes when trunk wasn't ready to
release.

My goal in suggesting this is to make the angular development part of the
core development effort, if not the whole focus.