rave-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Project Next Steps
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:51:13 GMT
Many of us met at ApacheCon NA to discuss the project and what needs to be
done to move it forward.  From this discussion, it was clear that the major
thing we need to work toward is growing the community.  The purpose of this
thread is to discuss what we can do from both a technical and non-technical
standpoint to attract new members.

The first barrier to entry that was discussed is the complexity of getting
started with the project.  To combat this issue, the following technical
actions were proposed:

1) Complete the API refactor.  Moving all operations to the new CXF REST
APIs will allow for simpler integrations and customization from the client
side without having to overlay or add Java code to Rave.

2) Complete the Angular front end.  The JSPs are convoluted and difficult
to customize.  Having a simple to modify UI framework greatly decreases the
barrier of entry.

3) Create a new Angular widget provider that simply does angular includes
of content inline in the page.  This allows users to get started without
having to understand OpenSocial or W3C widgets.

>From a non-technical standpoint the following was discussed:

1) Outreach to other projects.  Many projects are developing their own
modular UIs.  We should help them use Rave once we have completed lowering
the technical barrier.

2) Website/Documentation.  We need to rebrand and clarify what Rave is all
about.

Let's discuss these and other options and put a prioritized list out for
discussion with the wider community on the user's list.