samza-dev mailing list archives

From Tejas Patil <tejas.patil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: state management docs
Date Sun, 08 Sep 2013 19:21:18 GMT
I am probably the dumbest person on this list in terms of technical
know-how, but hey,.. if I can understand the doc, then most people would
understand easily :)

Some comments:

(1) What does a typical task state consist of ? An explicit example of
"task state" would be helpful. There are couple of good examples in the doc
but none of them say "hey, for this use case the task state is .."

(2) "The problems of remote stores" -> "Performance":
Before this point, there was no reference of Kafka at all in the doc and
you suddenly start comparing things with Kafka stream. People w/o any Kafka
background would not get that part.

(3) "Approaches to managing task state" -> "Using an external store"
The figure gave me an impression that tasks' o/p goes to 2 places: o/p
stream and external store. However reading further made me realize that we
just the task state to the external DB
 which is different from o/p stream...right ?

Trivial things:
- "A simple analogy to SQL may make make this more obvious." : Word "make"
occurs twice
- The hyperlink for "database of the web" is not working

Thanks,
Tejas