samza-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Samza @ ApacheCon BigData 2015
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2015 12:51:32 GMT
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Renato MarroquĂ­n Mogrovejo
<renatoj.marroquin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Samza lovers,
>
> I am sorry I haven't been updating you guys on my progress but we have been
> communicating with Yan Fang (my GSoC mentor) regularly during GSoC and
> after it as well.
> So GSoC is over, I have accomplished both my goals that were implementing
> the integration with Amazon Kinesis and ActiveMQ. I will be gettting ready
> the patches in the following weeks thus Samza can have the code for it.
> I gave a talk at ApacheCon BigData yesterday about the integration with
> Kinesis and what we tried to get it properly working. People were quite
> interested, I didn't have a full room like Michael Noll from Confluent ;)
> but a good show-up.
> The only question that I feel I didn't answer extensively was "why would
> anyone choose Samza for stream processing right now with KafkaStreams
> coming soon" LOL I said that yeah it was going under restructuring because
> all the reasons explained in the extensive email thread we had a couple of
> months ago. Michael's opinion was also valuable he said that maybe people
> should wait until KafkaStreams comes out and then see how the two projects
> look like at that moment.

Thanks Renato, is KafkaStreams actively being worked somewhere?  I saw
the mail discussion/prototype a while back but haven't seen any more
activity.  I've looked at the list of KIPs and didn't see it, but
perhaps I overlooked it.  Any pointers to where I could follow along
as its developed would be appreciated...

Thanks,
--tim