spark-dev mailing list archives

From Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Spurious test failures, testing best practices
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 00:49:56 GMT
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Ryan Williams
<ryan.blake.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But you only need to compile the others once.
>
> once... every time I rebase off master, or am obliged to `mvn clean` by some
> other build-correctness bug, as I said before. In my experience this works
> out to a few times per week.

No, you only need to do it something upstream from core changed (i.e.,
spark-parent, network/common or network/shuffle) in an incompatible
way. Otherwise, you can rebase and just recompile / retest core,
without having to install everything else. I do this kind of thing all
the time. If you have to do "mvn clean" often you're probably doing
something wrong somewhere else.

I understand where you're coming from, but the way you're thinking is
just not how maven works. I too find annoying that maven requires lots
of things to be "installed" before you can use them, when they're all
part of the same project. But well, that's the way things are.

--
Marcelo