spark-dev mailing list archives

From "Yan Zhou.sc" <Yan.Zhou...@huawei.com>
Subject 答复: 答复: Package Release Annoucement: Spark SQL on HBase "Astro"
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 08:07:38 GMT
Ok. Then a question will be to define a boundary between a query engine and a built-in processing.
If, for instance, the Spark DataFrame functionalities involving shuffling are to be supported
inside HBase,
in my opinion, it’d be hard not to tag it as an query engine. If, on the other hand, only
map-side ops from DataFrame are to be supported inside HBase, then Astro’s coprocessor already
has the capabilities.

Again, I still have no full knowledge about HBase-14181 beyond your description in email.
So my opinion above might be skewed as result.

Regards,

Yan

发件人: Ted Yu [mailto:yuzhihong@gmail.com]
发送时间: 2015年8月11日 15:28
收件人: Yan Zhou.sc
抄送: Bing Xiao (Bing); dev@spark.apache.org; user@spark.apache.org
主题: Re: 答复: Package Release Annoucement: Spark SQL on HBase "Astro"

HBase will not have query engine.

It will provide better support to query engines.

Cheers

On Aug 10, 2015, at 11:11 PM, Yan Zhou.sc <Yan.Zhou.sc@huawei.com<mailto:Yan.Zhou.sc@huawei.com>>
wrote:
Ted,

I’m in China now, and seem to experience difficulty to access Apache Jira. Anyways, it appears
to me  that HBASE-14181<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14181> attempts
to support Spark DataFrame inside HBase.
If true, one question to me is whether HBase is intended to have a built-in query engine or
not. Or it will stick with the current way as
a k-v store with some built-in processing capabilities in the forms of coprocessor, custom
filter, …, etc., which allows for loosely-coupled query engines
built on top of it.

Thanks,