spark-dev mailing list archives

From Arijit <arij...@live.com>
Subject RE: Understanding code/closure shipment to Spark workers‏
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2015 22:23:03 GMT
Hi Xiao,

Thank you very much for the pointers. I looked into the part of the code. I now understand
how the main method is invoked. Still not clear how is the code distributed to the executors.
Is it the whole jar or some serialized object. I was expecting to see the part of the code
where the closures are serialized and shipped. Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks again, Arijit

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:26:55 -0700
Subject: Re: Understanding code/closure shipment to Spark workers‏
From: gatorsmile@gmail.com
To: arijitt@live.com
CC: dev@spark.apache.org

Hi, Arijit,
The code flow of spark-submit is simple.
Enter the main function of SparkSubmit.scala     --> case SparkSubmitAction.SUBMIT =>
submit(appArgs)    --> doRunMain() in function submit() in the same file
    --> runMain(childArgs,...) in the same file    --> mainMethod.invoke(null, childArgs.toArray)
 in the same file
Function Invoke() is provided by JAVA Reflection for invoking the main function of your JAR.

Hopefully, it can help you understand the problem.
Thanks,
Xiao Li

 Hi,

I want to understand the code flow starting from the Spark jar that I submit through spark-submit,
how does Spark identify and extract the closures, clean and serialize them and ship them to
workers to execute as tasks. Can someone point me to any documentation or a pointer to the
source code path to help me understand this.

Thanks, Arijit