spark-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Hughes <jn...@ccri.com>
Subject Issues using Hive JDBC
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2016 21:14:58 GMT
Hi all,

I'm investigating adding geospatial user-defined functions and types to
Spark SQL in Spark 2.0.x.  That is going rather well; I've seen how to
add geospatial UDT and UDFs (and even UDAFs!).

As part of the investigation, I tried out the Thrift JDBC server, and I
have encountered two general issues.

First, there are a few places in the Hive Thrift Server module which
aren't general.  In two places, a SessionState is cast to a
HiveSessionState.  Additionally, in SparkExecuteStatementOperation, some
serialization code for handling DataTypes doesn't consider
UserDefinedTypes.

For those issues, would a JIRA and pull request be appropriate?

My second issue was connecting existing JDBC code to the Hive JDBC
connector.  The code calls connection.getMetaData.getTables().  I tried
various options to see that call work, and I was unable to get the list
of tables back.

It looks like these tickets are related:

Has there been any more work on the JDBC metadata issues?

Thanks in advance,

Jim