spark-dev mailing list archives

From Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving Scala 2.12 forward one step
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2017 18:16:11 GMT
That would be awesome. I’m not sure whether we want 3.0 to be right after 2.3 (I guess this
Scala issue is one reason to start discussing that), but even if we do, I imagine that wouldn’t
be out for at least 4-6 more months after 2.3, and that’s a long time to go without Scala
2.12 support. If we decide to do 2.4 next instead, that’s even longer.

Matei

> On Sep 1, 2017, at 1:52 AM, Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> OK, what I'll do is focus on some changes that can be merged to master without impacting
the 2.11 build (e.g. putting kafka-0.8 behind a profile, maybe, or adding the 2.12 REPL).
Anything that is breaking, we can work on in a series of open PRs, or maybe a branch, yea.
It's unusual but might be worthwhile.

> On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 9:44 AM Matei Zaharia <matei.zaharia@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the changes aren’t that hard, I think we should also consider building a Scala 2.12
version of Spark 2.3 in a separate branch. I’ve definitely seen concerns from some large
Scala users that Spark isn’t supporting 2.12 soon enough. I thought SPARK-14220 was blocked
mainly because the changes are hard, but if not, maybe we can release such a branch sooner.

> Matei
>
> > On Aug 31, 2017, at 3:59 AM, Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think there's a target. The changes aren't all that hard (see the SPARK-14220
umbrella) but there are some changes that are hard or impossible without changing key APIs,
as far as we can see. That would suggest 3.0.

> > One motivation I have here for getting it as far as possible otherwise is so people
could, if they wanted, create a 2.12 build themselves without much work even if it were not
supported upstream. This particular change is a lot of the miscellaneous stuff you'd have
to fix to get to that point.