spark-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Cheung <felixcheun...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.1.2 maintenance release?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 15:46:02 GMT
+1 on both 2.1.2 and 2.2.1

And would try to help and/or wrangle the release if needed.

(Note: trying to backport a few changes to branch-2.1 right now)

________________________________
From: Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com>
Sent: Friday, September 8, 2017 12:05:28 AM
To: Holden Karau; dev
Subject: Re: 2.1.2 maintenance release?

Let's look at the standard ASF guidance, which actually surprised me when I first read it:

https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

VOTES ON PACKAGE RELEASES
Votes on whether a package is ready to be released use majority approval -- i.e. at least
three PMC members must vote affirmatively for release, and there must be more positive than
negative votes. Releases may not be vetoed. Generally the community will cancel the release
vote if anyone identifies serious problems, but in most cases the ultimate decision, lies
with the individual serving as release manager. The specifics of the process may vary from
project to project, but the 'minimum quorum of three +1 votes' rule is universal.

PMC votes on it, but no vetoes allowed, and the release manager makes the final call. Not
your usual vote! doesn't say the release manager has to be part of the PMC though it's the
role with most decision power. In practice I can't imagine it's a problem, but we could also
just have someone on the PMC technically be the release manager even as someone else is really
operating the release.

The goal is, really, to be able to put out maintenance releases with important fixes. Secondly,
to ramp up one or more additional people to perform the release steps. Maintenance releases
ought to be the least controversial releases to decide.

Thoughts on kicking off a release for 2.1.2 to see how it goes?

Although someone can just start following the steps, I think it will certainly require some
help from Michael, who's run the last release, to clarify parts of the process or possibly
provide an essential credential to upload artifacts.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:59 PM Holden Karau <holden@pigscanfly.ca<mailto:holden@pigscanfly.ca>>