Hossein might be slow to respond (OOO), but I just commented on the JIRA.  I'd recommend we follow the same process as the SparkR package.

+1 on this from me (and I'll be happy to help shepherd it, though Felix and Shivaram are the experts in this area).  CRAN presents challenges, but this is a good step towards making R a first-class citizen for ML use cases of Spark.