spark-dev mailing list archives

From Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should python-2 be supported in Spark 3.0?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2018 23:24:12 GMT
That’s a good point — I’d say there’s just a risk of creating a perception issue. First,
some users might feel that this means they have to migrate now, which is before Python itself
drops support; they might also be surprised that we did this in a minor release (e.g. might
we drop Python 2 altogether in a Spark 2.5 if that later comes out?). Second, contributors
might feel that this means new features no longer have to work with Python 2, which would
be confusing. Maybe it’s OK on both fronts, but it just seems scarier for users to do this
now if we do plan to have Spark 3.0 in the next 6 months anyway.

Matei

> On Sep 17, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Mark Hamstra <mark@clearstorydata.com> wrote:
>
> What is the disadvantage to deprecating now in 2.4.0? I mean, it doesn't change the code
at all; it's just a notification that we will eventually cease supporting Py2. Wouldn't users
prefer to get that notification sooner rather than later?

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 12:58 PM Matei Zaharia <matei.zaharia@gmail.com> wrote:
> I’d like to understand the maintenance burden of Python 2 before deprecating it. Since
it is not EOL yet, it might make sense to only deprecate it once it’s EOL (which is still
over a year from now). Supporting Python 2+3 seems less burdensome than supporting, say, multiple
Scala versions in the same codebase, so what are we losing out?

> The other thing is that even though Python core devs might not support 2.x later, it’s
quite possible that various Linux distros will if moving from 2 to 3 remains painful. In that
case, we may want Apache Spark to continue releasing for it despite the Python core devs not
supporting it.

> Basically, I’d suggest to deprecate this in Spark 3.0 and then remove it later in 3.x
instead of deprecating it in 2.4. I’d also consider looking at what other data science tools
are doing before fully removing it: for example, if Pandas and TensorFlow no longer support
Python 2 past some point, that might be a good point to remove it.

> Matei
>
> > On Sep 17, 2018, at 11:01 AM, Mark Hamstra <mark@clearstorydata.com> wrote:
> >
> > If we're going to do that, then we need to do it right now, since 2.4.0 is already
in release candidates.

> > On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:57 AM Erik Erlandson <eerlands@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I like Mark’s concept for deprecating Py2 starting with 2.4: It may seem like
a ways off but even now there may be some spark versions supporting Py2 past the point where
Py2 is no longer receiving security patches

> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM Mark Hamstra <mark@clearstorydata.com> wrote:
> > We could also deprecate Py2 already in the 2.4.0 release.
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 11:46 AM Erik Erlandson <eerlands@redhat.com> wrote:
> > In case this didn't make it onto this thread:
> >
> > There is a 3rd option, which is to deprecate Py2 for Spark-3.0, and remove it entirely
on a later 3.x release.

> > On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Erik Erlandson <eerlands@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On a separate dev@spark thread, I raised a question of whether or not to support
python 2 in Apache Spark, going forward into Spark 3.0.

> > Python-2 is going EOL at the end of 2019. The upcoming release of Spark 3.0 is an
opportunity to make breaking changes to Spark's APIs, and so it is a good time to consider
support for Python-2 on PySpark.

> > Key advantages to dropping Python 2 are:
> >       • Support for PySpark becomes significantly easier.
> >       • Avoid having to support Python 2 until Spark 4.0, which is likely to imply
supporting Python 2 for some time after it goes EOL.
> > (Note that supporting python 2 after EOL means, among other things, that PySpark
would be supporting a version of python that was no longer receiving security patches)

> > The main disadvantage is that PySpark users who have legacy python-2 code would
have to migrate their code to python 3 to take advantage of Spark 3.0

> > This decision obviously has large implications for the Apache Spark community and
we want to solicit community feedback.