spark-dev mailing list archives

From Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Make Scala 2.12 as default Scala version in Spark 3.0
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2018 22:09:23 GMT
Now that the switch to 2.12 by default has been made, it might be good
to have a serious discussion about dropping 2.11 altogether. Many of
the main arguments have already been talked about. But I don't
remember anyone mentioning how easy it would be to break the 2.11
build now.

For example, the following works fine in 2.12 but breaks in 2.11:

java.util.Arrays.asList("hi").stream().forEach(println)

We had a similar issue when we supported java 1.6 but the builds were
all on 1.7 by default. Every once in a while something would silently
break, because PR builds only check the default. And the jenkins
builds, which are less monitored, would stay broken for a while.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 11:13 AM DB Tsai <d_tsai@apple.com> wrote:

> We made Scala 2.11 as default Scala version in Spark 2.0. Now, the next Spark version
will be 3.0, so it's a great time to discuss should we make Scala 2.12 as default Scala version
in Spark 3.0.

> Scala 2.11 is EOL, and it came out 4.5 ago; as a result, it's unlikely to support JDK
11 in Scala 2.11 unless we're willing to sponsor the needed work per discussion in Scala community,
https://github.com/scala/scala-dev/issues/559#issuecomment-436160166

> We have initial support of Scala 2.12 in Spark 2.4. If we decide to make Scala 2.12 as
default for Spark 3.0 now, we will have ample time to work on bugs and issues that we may
run into.

> What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DB Tsai  |  Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution]  |   Apple, Inc

Marcelo