spark-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Cheung <felixcheun...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2018 22:56:33 GMT
Is there a list of LTS release that I can reference?

________________________________
From: Ryan Blue <rblue@netflix.com.invalid>
Sent: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 1:28 PM
To: snazy@snazy.de
Cc: Spark Dev List; cdelgado@apple.com
Subject: Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

+1 for supporting LTS releases.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 11:48 AM Robert Stupp <snazy@snazy.de<mailto:snazy@snazy.de>>
wrote:

+1 on supporting LTS releases.

VM distributors (RedHat, Azul - to name two) want to provide patches to LTS versions (i.e.
into http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk11u/). How that will play out in reality ...
I don't know. Whether Oracle will contribute to that repo for 8 after it's EOL and 11 after
the 6 month cycle ... we will see. Most Linux distributions promised(?) long-term support
for Java 11 in their LTS releases (e.g. Ubuntu 18.04). I am not sure what that exactly means
... whether they will actively provide patches to OpenJDK or whether they just build from
source.

But considering that, I think it's definitely worth to at least keep an eye on Java 12 and
13 - even if those are just EA. Java 12 for example does already forbid some "dirty tricks"
that are still possible in Java 11.